Varca beach is in South Goa, 12.9 kilometers from Margao. It is just 3.9 kilometers from the town of Benaulim – approximately 9 minutes by road with average traffic. Varca beach is between Zumbrai beach in the north and Fatrade beach in the south. It is actually part of the same stretch of sand that runs all the way from Valsao beach next to the city of Vasco da Gama and ending at Mobor beach next to the Sal River. This is one of the biggest continuous shorelines in Goa, comparable only with the Candolim-Calangute-Baga stretch in north Goa.
Varca is a 2 kilometer long white beach with red and black lava rocks in some places. You will find mostly shrub vegetation here, with a few palm trees. The seemingly endless strip of sand is dotted with luxury resorts, hotels, and private villas, including some of the biggest names like Sterling, Club Mahindra, and Ramada. The stretch is almost entirely hawker-free, but there are some good beach shacks where you can stretch out on a sun bed to relax and enjoy your food and drinks.
This is a quiet and peaceful beach as there are fewer tourists compared to the beaches of the north and even the busier Palolem, Colva beach in south Goa. This is also one of the cleanest beaches of Goa. You will find fishing boats on the beach as there is a Christian fishing community in the town of Varca. There is water sports too, but there are fewer operators, so it doesn’t interfere with the calm and quiet.
If you are looking for a relaxing holiday in Goa in a quiet and clean beach, and prefer developed tourist infrastructure – good places to stay, beach shacks, restaurants, water sports, nature all around, then Varca beach will be a good pick. You can spend some beautiful moments of peace here.
Luxury villa with direct access to the beach. 5* star service. Prime location of North Goa.
Villa for rent from 19 000 Rs. per night
Quick Facts About Varca
In South Goa, Varca beach is 12.9 kilometers from Margao, and just 3.9 kilometers from Benaulim town.
2 kilometer long sandy beach with red and black lava rocks in some places.
Closest airport – Dabolim – 28.6 kilometers.
It is part of a long sandy shoreline that runs from Valsao in the north to Mobor in the south. The entire stretch is 26 kilometers long.
Closest railway station – Margao – 9.3 kilometers.
Water sports – Jet skiing, water skiing, parasailing, windsurfing, speed boat and banana boat rides.
Clean and quiet beach. Only a few trees. Mostly shrub vegetation. Few tourists. Varca beach is a good choice for a relaxing holiday.
Fishing boats and nets on the beach. You can see fishermen bringing in their daily catch.
Good places to stay – There are several star category hotels, luxury villas, resorts, and some budget properties.
There are a few beach shacks with sun beds and loungers. Enjoy seafood, continental, Goa cuisine, and drinks on the beach.
Best Time to Visit Varca Beach
November to February is the best time to visit Varca beach. It will be nice and cool this time of the year. You can spend long hours on the beach without getting sunburned. It will be cooler and the humidity is also low. You can take long walks on the secluded beach, go for a swim, and enjoy water sports. Or you can simply sit back in a shack and enjoy the beauty of nature with drinks. Do not forget the seafood at the shacks and Goa’s unique Konkani cuisine.
The summer season between March and June is long and hot. There are very few tourists as this is the low season. Most beach shacks are closed this time of the year as they are temporary structures. They will only open in the end of October or early November. The summer temperature ranges between 32°C and 36°C. On some days, it can even be higher than this.
The monsoon between the middle of June and early September sees a lot of rain because of the coastal location. Chance of thundershowers on some days! Occasionally, it may even rain for the whole day. There are no water sports in the monsoon as the sea is choppy. Expect high winds and waves.
|Climate in Varca|
|Average high, °C||31,6||31,5||32,0||33,0||33,0||30,3||28,9||28,8||29,5||31,6||32,8||32,4||31,3|
|Average low, °C||19,6||20,5||23,2||25,6||26,3||24,7||24,1||24,0||23,8||23,8||22,3||20,6||23,2|
|Average precipitation mm||0,2||0,1||1,2||11,8||112,7||868,2||994,8||512,7||251,9||124,8||30,9||16,7||2926|
Come September, the weather becomes much nicer with the heat of the summer and the rains almost completely gone. The sun won’t burn your skin anymore. The humidity has gone down as well. December to February is the winter months here. Swimming and other water activities are safe. The beach shacks are all open. You can spend long hours on the beach safely and enjoy all the activities. You can even visit the other south Goa beaches and do sightseeing in Goa.
How To Reach Varca Beach
- By Air — The Dabolim international airport is 28.6 kilometers from Varca beach. A busy airport, it is connected by Air India, Indigo, Etihad, Air Arabia, Air Asia, Qatar Airways, and Jet Airways.
- By Rail — Margao railway station is at a distance of 9.3 kilometers.
- By Road — The state capital Panaji is 41.4 kilometers from Varca beach. It takes about an hour on an average day.
Varca beach is part of the longest coastline in entire Goa. Varca itself is 2 kilometers long, but the entire stretch between Valsao and Mobor beach in the south is of 26 kilometers long. It is not the same everywhere, though. For instance, the beach becomes busier at Colva and Palolem. There are more rocks at Agonda. The Sal River meets the sea at Mobor beach.
The beach at Varca is one of the best in Goa. It has soft, white sand. You will find a few lava rocks, but they are few in number. Varca beach is lined with palm and casurina trees, so there is nature all around. You will also find some shrub vegetation. It is very quiet and clean as there are few tourists even in the peak season.
A small river runs parallel to the beach. You will have to cross a bridge to enter the beach. The parking area is just before this bridge. Just ahead you will find water sports like speed and banana boats, parasailing, jet skiing, windsurfing, and others. There are only a few beach shacks at Varca beach like the Seagull shack, Evisha, Peieira’s, Mamas Kitchen, and the one next to the water sports center. With only a few shacks, seclusion is always maintained at Varca. The shacks have umbrellas and lounge chairs where you can sit back, relax, and enjoy your food and drinks.
Varca beach is hawker free, so there won’t be anyone to bother your privacy. You can easily find a nice and quiet corner if want to get away from everyone for your own private beach experience.
The nearby village is home to a Christian fishing community. On the beach, you will see wooden fishing boats, fishermen drying their nets, and the daily catch being brought in from the sea. Walk up take a closer look. Take pictures.
Top 6 Water Sports Activities At Varca Beach
There are plenty of water sports activities to choose from at Varca.
- Jet Skiing – A very popular activity! You will love the thrill of high speed on the Arabian Sea, as you leave a trail on the water. Get on top of the water bike and enjoy this fun activity. The instructor will give you safety lessons. The person can ride with you as well if you prefer. Jet skis are not for kids below the age of 9 years.
- Speed Boating – The speed boats can accommodate up to 4 people at a time. Ride with your friends or if you like you can hire the boat for yourself as well. Enjoy the high speed and ride above the waves. Feel the wind rushing past your face.
- Banana Boat Riding – These boats can take 6 people. Shaped like a banana, this boat too moves at high speed. Sometimes, the instructor can give you a splash into the waves in shallow waters. Climb back and continue your ride.
- Parasailing – Fly high in the air to get a bird’s eye view of the entire coastline, the towns and villages, and deeper into the sea. This adventure sport is for true nature lovers. You will be tied to the back of a speed boat with a rope. The boat will then zoom through the water. The experience is sure to give you an adrenalin rush.
- Water Skiing – You will be gliding through the water on a ski. This is a bit like parasailing, but you will always be on the water. A rope will attach you to a speed boat. You will be pulled at high speed when the boat moves. This makes you glide over the water. No prior skiing experience needed.
- Windsurfing – Make your Goa trip thrilling by trying windsurfing. This sport brings together surfing and sailing. Enjoy windsurfing with a surf boat on the water. The best time for windsurfing is early morning. The waves will be easy to ride, and there is little wind this time of the day.
Sometimes, you can also see dolphins out into the sea here. The local fishermen can organize dolphin tours. Besides, you can rent a bike to ride on the beach as well.
Tourist Infrastructure At Varca
The Varca village is located alongside Colva Road, which is the main costal road. In the beach, you will find many nice and comfortable restaurants where you can enjoy various delicious dishes. There are banks, ATMs, and a Currency Exchange Office. Supermarkets have opened in Varca recently. Both locals and tourists visit Magson's Supermarket and Home Centre.
There is some nightlife too at Varca, though not comparable to north Goa. Head to the Sunset Bar, Blue Lagoon, Atrium Bar, Sol Bar, and Tangerine Island Bar. These are all happening places.
Restaurants At Varca
The most recommended shacks and restaurants are:
- Sea Pearls
- Capricorn shack
- Sea Gull Inn
- Garden Court
You will find all types of accommodations at Varca beach – 5-star resorts, hotels, luxury villas, and budget properties. The most famous and popular hotels are –
- Ramada Caravela Beach Resort 5*
- Renaissance Resort 5*
- The Zuri White Sands Goa 5*
- Best Western Peace Valley 4*
- Country Inn 3*
- Goa Beach House 2*
- Varca Beach Resort 4*
- Resorte De Goa
- The Retreat by Zuri 3*
- Varca Le Palms Beach Resort 2*
Villas for rent in Varca:
* Price depends on arrival dates and duration of stay.
Rate this article:
Rated 3.89 / 5 based on 18 reviews.